Right now, the only person who knows for sure if our baby is a boy or a girl is, well… our baby. And, to be honest, I’m not sure how aware he or she actually is of that fact.
If all goes according to plan, it will stay that way until sometime this October.
But, that doesn’t mean we can’t still have some fun trying to figure it out on our own! There are tons of old wives’ tales out there, so we’ve put a few of them to the test.
- How you carry: Low, in front = Boy, High & wide = Girl As you may recall, I’m not carrying very big at all. But, since I have spread a bit, this one goes to team pink.
- Morning sickness: Have it? Girl, Don’t? Boy Well, gee, I spent two months on bed rest with Hyperemesis. This one definitely goes in the girl column.
- Heart rate: below 140 = Boy, Above = Girl Little Moore’s heart rate has been consistently above 150. Another point for pink.
- Boobs: 1)Dramatic increase = Girl 2)Bigger on the right = Boy, Bigger on the left = Girl Well, internet, I am so pleased to share this information with you in the name of “science”… I have gone up two cup sizes. And, also, my left is way bigger. So… pink wins again.
- Cravings: Sweets = Girl, Sour or Salty = Boy My number one craving has been nectarines and peaches. I can NOT get enough stone fruit. My number two craving has been cheese. So… this one I think is a tie.
- Leg Hair: lots = Boy, not lots = Girl Again, I am so pleased to share these intimate details… I only have to shave my legs once a week. That’s all. Team Pink is sweeping this competition.
- Face: “Girls steal your beauty” This one is a little trickier. The old wives tales state that if your face gets fuller or if you have problems with acne it means you are having a girl. It also says that if your skin clears up, you’re having a boy. I have clear skin in general, and I haven’t had any issues with acne so far during my pregnancy. I also haven’t noticed that my chipmunk cheeks have gotten any bigger… So, I don’t really have any solid proof on either side here. It’s a toss up.
- Wedding Ring test: Circular motion = Girl, Back and Forth = Boy Mr. and I just did this test last night. When he was holding the ring on a string over my belly… it was completely still. When I held it… it swung in a circle. Tie?
- Chinese Gender Calendar The ancient Chinese gender predictors are in the minority here, they say I’m having a boy.
- Mayan Calendar: If the mother’s age and the year of conception are both even or both odd = Girl, If they are even & odd = Boy I am 28 years old and it is 2012… that’s two even numbers. Although, the Mayans also predicted the world will end on 12/12/12 so… I hope their calendar is wrong. Either way, that’s one more point for girl.
- Mother’s intuition This is actually the only scientific data in this whole game… a study has shown that 71% of the time, the mother’s intuition about the gender of her baby is correct. I always, always said that I wanted a boy. Then, the minute I knew I was pregnant, I thought “it’s a girl.” So… there you have it.
As you can see, the “evidence” is overwhelmingly telling us that we’ll be having a little girl. The final count here was, out of 11 categories, 1 for boy, 7 for girl, and 3 undetermined.
I will mention that there is another pretty popular “test” out there which requires combining your urine with Drano. I’m not going to be doing that test. I won’t insult you by explaining why not.
Now it’s your turn to get in on the fun. We’ve started a Baby Pool! On this site you can make your best guess about Little Moore’s gender, birth date and more. It’s all in good fun, but the winner will get a special prize!
Check it out and place your bets!!
Just click on the tab that says “Enter Baby Pool” and… give it your best shot. There’s also a page of “fun facts” where I repeated all of the information from this blog and also put some info about Mr. and myself.
Do you know of any gender predictors that we didn’t try yet??
Let me know! And happy guessing!!